Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mattb44 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Long Term Care Insurance Date: 2/16/2000 9:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I agreed generally with your discussion about the costs associated with Long Term Care. I have also found it difficult to justify on a cost basis for most people. They either fall in the too wealthy catagory or not wealthy enough and can't afford it.

My reason for the post however, is that I think many commentators fail to mention the emotional cost of caring for a loved one. I have seen on several occasions that people faced with the prospect of needing Long Term Care, especially home care, skimp because of the tremendous costs. While it can afford it, the prospect of constantly shelling out dollars is an emotionally draining experience. I know we can explain how silly it is to skimp especially when the financial resources are available but I think the fear of spending money without the prospects of replacing it scares many elderly people. Even the ones we would call wealthy.Maybe they think they are going to pull through the illness and what will I have to live on?

Until you are the one lying in the bed or confined to ther wheelchair because of an illness, and you realize replacing the money spent would be difficult, the tendancy is to skimp on what you might think to be non essential. Meaning not strictly medical.

This leaves the burden to the caretaker usually a spouse. After witnessing this first hand in my family I have come to the conclusion that LTC is not for the sick, it is for the caretaker.

Unfortunately, home care is perceived as a luxury, and with many people refusing nursing homes LTC insurance is more of a piece of mind. What is the economic benefit to that?

Hard to say. Most of the people I speak with don't buy this argument. I think it is valid and should be discussed when dealing with long term care.

Thanks
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement