Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 156967  
Subject: LONG TERM GROWTH Date: 2/22/1999 7:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

What do the fools think Microsoft will be worth in 5-10 years? Also at what percentage of growth do you think it will grow at? Also is there a time frame that the Microsoft trial is suposed to keep, or will it just end when it ends with no spicific time frame in mind?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kramer23 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6719 of 156967
Subject: Re: LONG TERM GROWTH Date: 2/22/1999 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
101 wrote:
<<What do the fools think Microsoft will be worth in 5-10 years? Also at what percentage of growth do you think it will grow at?>>

Geez 101, if any of us had the answers to those two questions we'd be in pretty good shape, wouldn't we? :)

I think Microsoft will continue to dominate the industry. Much like Dell, I don't see the company resting on its laurels. I'm enouraged that Microsoft invests something like $3 billion annually in research and development. It's the old story... what have you done for me lately. My guess is that Microsoft will continue to deliver for the next 3-5 years, if not longer.

<>

The judge circulated a memo today stating that both he and David Boies (the prosecuting attorney) have conflicts coming up and apparently the trial will take a six-week break so that they can deal with the conflicts. The trial would reportedly resume mid-April. With final witnesses and closing arguments, the trial could easily run into May. Then, the judge will have to deliberate and decide a verdict and what remedies to impose, if any. Of course, there will be appeals as well.

Author: LucNo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6720 of 156967
Subject: Re: LONG TERM GROWTH Date: 2/22/1999 10:24 PM
I'm thinking of buying some Microsoft for a long term retirement savings account? Any opinion would be appreciated? THanks,

Author: 101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6721 of 156967
Subject: Re: LONG TERM GROWTH Date: 2/23/1999 12:07 AM

I'm thinking of buying some Microsoft for a long term retirement savings account? Any opinion would be appreciated?

I bought this stock for the long run also, my only problem was that I bought it at 170. So even though I am in for the long run I am not doing to good in the short run either. The reason I bought it though was because I figure It has great long term potential. Hope that helps.

Author: DavidInnes Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6733 of 156967
Subject: Re: LONG TERM GROWTH Date: 2/23/1999 12:24 PM
LucNo said:
I'm thinking of buying some Microsoft for a long term retirement savings account? Any opinion would be appreciated?

I say:
Microsoft will be a good long term investment.

10-15 years ago IBM was in roughly the same boat Microsoft is now -- i.e. reviled by the young, hip, and alive who thought Microsoft was the coolest thing since the bread slicer.

At one point in the late 80's IBM looked like it was a gonner. They introduced the stupid PS/2. They introduced the first OS/2, a thumb-fingered "improvement" on Windows 2.0. They underwent convulsive layoffs. They were (deservedly) under legal, social, journalistic, and technical assault from all sides. And their share prices really tanked.

It's possible Microsoft will experience similar problems mid-term -- even though their senior management is far more self-aware and paranoid that IBM ever was. And it's possible their market share and share price will diminish as the PC market heads cycles back towards a smart-terminal/mainframe-server model.

But consider what's happened to IBM since it's late 80's nadir. They were on the ropes, but they were still really big, they had plenty of brains, plenty of revenue, and eventually they figured out how to start making money again. They've been booming ever since.

Even if Microsoft somehow tanks in 2003 they still have the technical, marketing, and managerial (if not necessarily the legal) talent to make piles of money anyway. Even if they tank like IBM I'm pretty cconfident they'd find a way to make a comeback.

So you could wait till whatever you think the date-of-tank might be, and buy in at the bottom. On the other hand, it's more likely they won't tank at all and you'll feel awful for holding off.

If you'd like to take a long-term position in Microsoft but you're worried about all the rattle and hype I'd suggest you use buy in with dollar cost averaging. In the long run it should be a good investment and could be a great one.

Good luck.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement