Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I'm considering selling some shares of a company that has done very well for me short-term (I bought it less than a year ago.). Thus, I'll owe short-term cap-gains tax on it. However, in 2003 I also sold shares I had held for more than a year from another company at a loss. As I unerstand it, this counts as a long-term cap loss. Can the loss be used to offset the gain? Also, if there are losses in 2002 that were not claimed then, can those also be used to offset the short-term cap-gains tax in 2003?

thanks for any advice,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.