Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ibbieta Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35911  
Subject: Re: PC gaming is teh sux0r Date: 3/20/2003 3:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
LongHook writes:
The state of PC gaming today just sucks. .... It's the whole driver/DirectX flakiness thing.

I've been playing a bunch of new games at the moment and the only one giving me any problems is the free "America's Army". Of course, my gaming rig runs Windows 98SE which I'm sure you have long since abandoned. I'm one of those dual-boot people who keep a partition just for games and use a different OS (Win2K right now) for work and stuff. I almost feel sorry for game developers because a few hard-core gamers are just not giving up Win98SE without a fight while everyone else has moved on to XP.

I haven't heard anyone complaining about WinXP (nor raving about it) so I would be interested if that has changed with DirectX 8.1. Most of the gamers I know are busy playing with their consoles these days and haven't tried anything more recent than "Mafia".

I've put in more than a few hours with "Medieval: Total War" without so much as a hiccup. I have toyed around with "SimCity 4", "Command and Conquer: Generals" and "Unreal 2". Now, my system is a little too old to play those games smoothly (700MHz Athlon Classic) but other than that everything just works.

But seriously, this just sucks. It makes you really appreciate it when a game just installs and works. At this point I'm not even sure who to blame anymore -- Microsoft, developers, hardware vendors, everyone...*sigh*

I hesitate to suggest that you forgot one possiblity -- yourself. You probably know more about running Windows than me but I would check out your system(s) thoughly. Even Win98SE needs to be tweaked from the standard install to get the best gaming performance.

Of course, "Bridge Commander" could just, you know, suck.

--ibbieta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement