No. of Recommendations: 1
LonghornBoy and I have different opinions.

I'm just acknowledging the primacy of smartphones and tablets within a typical household.

They're very popular devices for accessing the Internet and forecasts project that growth in those two segments will continue to outpace desktops and notebooks.

In my own household, we currently have two smartphones, three tablets (kids, ya know...), two laptops, a desktop, and two TiVo devices.

I couldn't plug half the gadgets I own into a wired ethernet port even if I wanted to. Given trends, I suspect that's the case for most households.

Really, when you get right down to it, WiFi is a "must have" for most households and wired connections are more of an exception. If you need wired connections, then fine...figure out where you need it and run the hand-full of drops to the locations you'll need them...but don't go and blindly cable up every room in the house.

but it will never be as fast

In many cases, it doesn't need to be. The typical broadband connection for most households is between 10mb and 50mb per second, whereas a lot of mid-range wireless routers offer WiFi connection speeds of 300mb or so. The bottleneck is usually with the upstream ISP and not inside the house.

That said, if you really need fast wireless, then go look at a Netgear AC 1750, which runs about $200:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081H8TRA

It offers dual-band connectivity with speeds well over a gigabit per second.

or secure as wire.

Sure, it's hard to beat physical security. But, for most households, it's not a question of "wired or wireless?", but one of "how do I make my wireless secure?". And to answer that, you make sure that you follow good practices: Disable SSID broadcasting, use WPA2 encryption, use MAC address filtering, etc...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement