Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: vtpete Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40  
Subject: Looking at Lafarge Date: 7/21/2003 8:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This company looks interesting. Trading at book value. PE of 10. Price to cash flow ~ 6 with a 2% dividend. Looks like they haven't increased the dividend in some time. Price to free cash flow of about 24 based on 2003 estimates. Based on 2002 performance, price to free cash flow looks better ~ about 13.

I'm having trouble remembering which book I read that used the example of buying a rock pit. The part I remember was that a rock pit has a natural moat in its local area because of the substantial cost of transporting rock from other areas. Higher fuel prices certainly can't hurt the moat.

Profit margins have been running about 7% for the past few years. Looking further back, margins peaked at about 10%. They have some long-term debt but it seems pretty manageable. There is about $9/share long-term debt and $5/share cash.

This company looks they have a substantial amount of maintenance cap ex. Depreciation is very high. Over the past 10 years (1993-2002), depreciation averaged about $141 million annually while the company's cap ex was about $208 million annually on average. Think I will read through the last few annual reports and see if they have purchased any new rock pits the last few years or if the cap ex is just being devoted to replacing old equipment.

Really not much insider activity or short interest to speak of. Lafarge S.A. still owns about 54% of the shares according to valueline. Valueline says the book value includes about $6.50/share of intangibles which I suppose makes it slightly less attractive. Valueline's estiguess for 2004 earnings is $3.75/share

pete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement