UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tman264 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Looking for 401K advice Date: 5/4/2011 11:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fellow Fools,

I am new to the fool way. I recently (2 months ago) sold my company stock in my 401K to fund a small self directed account. So far I'm up $350+ on the strength of IPG Photonics and Qlik Technologies. Anyway, I was thinking about liquidating everything and starting anew using the 13 steps. However, when I started comparing the Vanguard Index 500 Trust (VFINX) with my Oakmark fund it appeared the Oakmark performed quite a bit better. My company changed investment firms in November 2009 so that is the time period i used to compare since it is when i acquired the funds shown below. From the beginning of 2011 my overall portfolio is up 8.4%, not bad but not earth shattering either.

Any suggestions as to a prudent course of action would be appreciated. I have also considered just keeping what i have but changing my elections so that all future money would go to my self-directed account.

Thanks in advance!

AMERICAN EUROPACIFIC GR R4 $7,376.64
BARON GROWTH FD CL INST $5,803.42
PIMCO TOTAL RETURN PORT. INSTL $7,410.44
THE OAKMARK FUND $15,850.62
SELF-DIRECT ACCT $2,765.64
Total $39,487.68
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68970 of 76237
Subject: Re: Looking for 401K advice Date: 5/4/2011 11:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
However, when I started comparing the Vanguard Index 500 Trust (VFINX) with my Oakmark fund it appeared the Oakmark performed quite a bit better.

During any given period of time some actively managed funds will outperform a comparable index fund. The trick is identifying in advance which funds will outperform.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=oakmx#symbol=oakmx;range=...

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement