Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 131  
Subject: Looking for a Load Date: 5/24/2003 7:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm still looking for the "perfect load" for that 22-250 "striker" pistol. So far I have tried pairing the Sierra 52-grain HPBT match bullet with the old DuPont INR-3031 and the IMR-4064 powder. Two weeks ago, I thought that I was getting a fairly close group using 31.5 grains of 3031 so I tried it again last week with loads of 31.4, 31.5, 31.6 and 31.7 grains but I couldn't see any major difference between them. Yesterday I tried the 52-grain HPBT bullet with 32.7, 33.0, 33.3, 33.6, 33.9 and 34.2 grains of IMR-4064 powder. I was getting fairly good groups with the 33.0 and 34.2 grain loads. I had removed the scope and reinstalled it with an anti-cant device prior to going out to the range so the impact at 100 yards had shifted to the left about 2 1/2 inches. There was also a breeze between 7 and 4 mph coming from about 285 degrees from the target that might explain the horizontal strings. I'll need to do more testing using new powder (the stuff I have been using is from factory sealed cans that are around 10 years old) on a calm day.

Last week I discovered that running patches soaked with "Kroil" through a hot barrel using a nylon cleaning jag is not a good idea. The Kroil softened that jag to the point that it was bent at a 45 degree angle after exiting the barrel. I got a new 24-inch Dewey rod with a brass jag in on Thursday that works like a dream. I'll have to clean both the pistol and a Sharps rifle today.

C.J.V.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement