UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: wnypoker Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75810  
Subject: Looking for Advice Date: 11/10/2006 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

This is the most appropriate forum I can find for this post. Everything below is related to long term and retirement investing. I am simply going to post some of my thought process with my personal concerns an a comparison to a friends investing strategy that seems to be doing better than mine in the hopes I'll get some interesting feedback.

I've been investing for several years now trying to learn as I go, but following the fool picks for the last 2 years or so. I currently have 19 picks. 18 are fool picks, and I picked up FXI today because I wanted more Asia exposure without risking a pick on an individual stock. I had a bad experience with TOMO, but my CRTP is doing great, so I figured an index to go with them seemed reasonable. It seems to me that when I get to my next pick I'll be at 20 and that may be too many. Without a good reason to sell, is it best to continue to adding more picks or add more money to my existing picks that are doing well? Probably a balance of both. The fool may be doing well overall, but I seem to make the wrong choices and am up only ~5%.

A friend of mine who has mostly fool picks (and 1 share of GOOG) is up 20%. I got my GOOG at $250 and sold at $350, oops. We have many of the same picks. I am in a regular trading account. My friend is in an IRA. His theory is to make a gain, sell, and repick, and continue repeating that process since he does not have to pay taxes on the gains. He is Scottrade and pays $7 for each trade. So following his example he'd be selling CTRP right about now, or at least what he invested in it and "letting the profit ride", and picking a new pick with the original investment money. We both invest the same amount for our purchases relative to our other picks (I do at least $1000 a pick, he prefers $700/pick)

I'm just a little frustrated since he seems to be doing so much better with a slight tweak to the amount of time we hold our picks. I'm of the hold forever until I have a reason to sell, he sells when he's made a decent amount and re-picks. He can sell a little easier since he does not pay taxes, but still even if he was he'd be doing better than me.

A (potentially stupid thing to do) is using my margin ability which I have but have not used in years to buy something I think should do well, like 10K worth, watch it closely, hope to make some $, and sell if it seems like I made a mistake and eat a reasonably small loss ($500 / 5%). For example I was considering doing this with DLB and oops... big gainer today but that may have started me off on a dangerous investment strategy path.

Thoughts?
-Raymond
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement