UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30912  
Subject: Looking for Advice... Date: 7/28/2011 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
....on how to get rid of the groundhogs (aka whistle pigs, woodchucks, etc).

We think they're very cute, but they're digging up way too much and pose a hazard with all the holes around here. We live out in the country on ten acres which apparently provide many desirable locations for groundhog community development. <Warning: The following discussion includes options of killing them. If that offends you, please read no further>.

Ideas to date:

* Relocation Trap: Relocation makes the ground hog somebody else's problem. I'm not excited about transporting one in my car and I don't want to have someone asking questions when I'm releasing it. "Hey, why are you dumping this thing near my house?"

* Killing Trap: Yuck. I don't want to drag some stiff groundhog out of a cage, especially if covered in gore. And I suspect the next groundhog might be concerned if the cage has a whiff of a dead relative.

* Repellent: Not sure if this will give me the results I want (which is zero groundhogs around). On ten acres, they could just move a hundred feet away and go at it again.

* Weapons: I'm considering this. There are many suggestions online, including a few funny ones (grenade launcher). Air rifles are supposedly not quite powerful enough. Shotguns require getting too close (they run when you get close). And I don't want a rifle shot to miss and go through a neighbor's window a few hundred feet away.

* Rat poison: Supposedly effective with repeat treatments. This might be my number one pick so far. Dump down the hole and watch for reduced sightings of groundhogs. But its difficult to look for something that is no longer there. ;)

* Smoke bombs: I've seen these advertised. They seem to depend on being able to plug all the holes. We have infestations in two barns and I'm not sure that I could seal everything leading to the groundhog village under our tack room.

* I also have problems with raccoons and possums getting after the cat food, but I'm trying to just bring the food inside when it gets dark. Not always effective. I chased away a huge, fat raccoon in the afternoon a couple weeks ago. Nice to know that we're helping so much wildlife. :P LOL

* We've owned dogs and I must say that the problem seems to have intensified since our last dog died. We're not interested in another dog.

So, does anybody have experience with this? And effective solutions? :) Thanks.

Rob
RB Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement