Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/4/2012 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've started to get a stepping motor error on my sewing machine which is a 21-year old New Home Memory Craft 8000. I'm thinking that this is probably the machine hinting that it might be dying soon, so I thought I should start on my research in case I have to replace it sooner rather than later.

I'd be interested in knowing what other folks use for sewing machines, and what criteria you recommend I consider for choosing a new one. What features do people like or wish they had? What do you have that you don't use? Any suggestions for places for me to look to research the various machines?

I do tend to do more utilitarian sewing and not so much things that are creative. I've used the embroidery capabilities on my machine a handful of times, so I wouldn't miss not having that, and won't buy a machine for its embroidery capabilities. I do a lot of sewing and quilting.

Anyone have any advice? I'd love to hear from folks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7247 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/4/2012 11:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
No real advice on a new machine. I have a 60's model Kenmore which lasts and lasts!

I'm thinking a "stepping motor error" might just indicate that you need a new cord?

A simple and very inexpensive fix...

LJ

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7249 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/5/2012 3:08 PM
I do a lot of quilting, and I have had Berninas for over 30 years and have always been happy with them. They are well built, do what they are supposed to do, and last forever--but they are pricey. I have several friends who have Vikings and are quite happy with them, too.

What I recommend is that you find a local sewing machine dealer who services what they sell. Tell them the features you are looking for, the kind of sewing you do, the amount of money you are willing to spend, etc. Then take some scraps of the fabrics you typically use and actually sew on the machine(s) you are considering. Any reputable dealer should let you do that, and a "test run" will tell you a lot about the machine(s) you are looking at.
If you do a lot of quilting, make sure that there is enough space between the needle and the right side of your machine to fit a rolled-up quilt, and that there are plenty of feet available for the types of sewing you like to do--a good even feed ("walking") foot, 1/4" guide foot, etc. are probably two you will want to look at.

Let us know what you end up getting!

isewquilts2

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7250 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/5/2012 3:15 PM
I have a Huskystar 215 (they don't make it anymore so not sure if this is usefull or not :).. ) that I have had for about 10 years now. Works great, mechanical, about 16 stitches. THe button hole functions got a little wacko recently.

I got a new machine for Christmas, a bit of an upgrade but no where near a splurge. It is a bottom of the line Brother. It has about 50 different stitches and came with about 7 different feet. About the only think I have noticed that bothers me is it doesn't like changes in thickness. For example while heming the bottom of a baby sleep sack it did not want to continue when I got to a seam (4-6 layers of fabric).

Here is what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JQM1DE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i...

Brother CS6000i Sew Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. Janome makes a good machine, I love my Janome Serger. If Money were no object I would go with Janome or perhaps Pfaf....

Good luck
Nicole

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7251 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/6/2012 10:27 AM
I have a Bernina and love it and wish I had the time to use it more. This last year I bought my walking foot for it while taking a quilting class and loved it. I know the newer models also have a stitch regulator for free-motion stitching. My MIL knows a woman in her quilting group that has a newer model with the BSR and loves it. MIL is now jealous.

Lara Amber

Author: PunkinPants Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7253 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/6/2012 12:30 PM
I second the comment about shopping for a good dealer. A good dealer will steer you to a good machine for your purposes.

I have a Viking Sapphire, and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Because of the absolutely horrible dealer in my area I am totally turned off by Berninas. My dealer sells Vikings, BabyLock and Janome. Janomes seem to have the best bang for the buck (actually the Janome made Kenmores did, but those don't exist any longer) and the least expensive accessories.

You kind of have to set a budget and just start testing out machines. one will magically click for you.

-pp

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7255 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 2/6/2012 10:08 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire, and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Because of the absolutely horrible dealer in my area I am totally turned off by Berninas. My dealer sells Vikings, BabyLock and Janome. Janomes seem to have the best bang for the buck (actually the Janome made Kenmores did, but those don't exist any longer) and the least expensive accessories.

When you move to Philly, there's an awesome Bernina dealer in Lancaster county - my mom loves them

HINKLETOWN SEWING MACHINE SHOP
http://local.yahoo.com/info-12036872-hinkletown-sewing-machi...
http://www.quiltart.com/bernina.html

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7256 of 7313
Subject: Re: looking for input on new sewing machine Date: 3/5/2012 9:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't know if you already made your decision, but mine is a Viking Platinum 750 Quilt. Got all sorts of stitches for decorative quilting without being a full blown embroidery machine.

Thing is, I never use them, I sort of stopped sewing or anything for a few years but I am thinking about doing a lap quilt for my sister this year so maybe I'll try some of those stitches. However, the machine itself is easy to use and quite sturdy.

Though if I had to do it over I'd probably go with a more economical machine like LJs.

RM - eyes bigger than her ablilities

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement