Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: autoaim Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11698  
Subject: Deleted Message Date: 3/14/2001 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ab1stock Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1495 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 6:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Check out the Acura MDX. 240 hp, 4WD - if you want it. Based on the Honda Odyssey, seats 6-7, great room with the 3rd row folded up, drives wonderfully, Honda reliablity, best resale in the business. But because it's based on the Odyssey, off-road capability isn't too good for the class. If you're in the 5% minority who actualy go off-road, look elsewhere, otherwise it's great.

ab

Author: UncleLee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1496 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 9:06 AM
seats 6-7, great room with the 3rd row folded up

=======================================================

Take six friends with you when you go for the test drive and tell us later how much room there is inside. This is a little bitty vehicle with less interior space and utilitarian value than an AWD Caravan. I tell folks to consider this choice very carefully, lest they end up with an overpriced 4wd Honda.

JMHO,
Lee

Author: ab1stock Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1497 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 9:08 AM
Recommendations: 3
Have you driven it, GeneralLee. I have, with 4 inside and a babyseat. No problems.

ab

Author: UncleLee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1498 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 9:32 AM
No, I haven't had the crushing pleasure of a test drive as yet. My subjectives are based on a personal inspection at the local shopping mall. Three rows of seats do not guarantee comfort for all, even in my Tahoe. I keep the third row seats in the garage.

Little bitty cars are great for folks who want to own little bitty cars, whether they be an MDX or X5 or even an M55. Folks should not be surprised to learn that most of these psuedo-SUV's have less passenger space and cargo room than many of their sibling sedans.

JMHO,
Lee

Author: dripton Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1499 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 11:48 AM
Based on the Honda Odyssey, seats 6-7, great room with the 3rd row folded up, drives wonderfully, Honda reliablity

There have been plenty of complaints about first-year Odyssey reliability, particular tranny issues. Consumer Reports rated it average. Honda has an outstanding overall long-term reliability record, but nobody's perfect. You have to look at individual models and years, not just companies.

I wouldn't buy a first-year MDX. (Actually, I wouldn't buy any minivan-based pseudo SUV, unless I had to haul a bunch of people in an area with lots of snow and AWD was only offered on the "SUV look" version of my chosen minivan. If I needed a minivan to haul 6 kids outside the snow belt, I'd buy a regular FWD minivan. If I needed to go off-roading or tow something big, I'd buy a real SUV, not a fake one. If I wanted an SUV so I could use more gas and block people's view and look "tough" or "outdoorsy" or "active lifestyley" while commuting to work, I'd buy a car instead and use the money I saved to see a therapist.)

Not particularly impressed by the Axiom or any other Isuzu. In what way is this vehicle better than the competition?

Author: UncleLee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1500 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/15/2001 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
If I wanted an SUV so I could use more gas and block people's view and look "tough" or "outdoorsy" or "active lifestyley" while commuting to work, I'd buy a car instead and use the money I saved to see a therapist.

=====================================================

LOL!

Uh, dripton, you might not want to wait to see that therapist. ;-D

Lee

Author: ChuckRock Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1501 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/19/2001 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 2
DO you plan on actually utiziling the "Utility" of the vehicle, or will it be just a commuting thing?

I have no doubts about the crash safety of the SUV's. But as a test engineer, my whole thing is this: It's best to be able to avoid accidents, as opposed to surving one. A sport wagon, or anything with a lower center of gravity, will in the long run give you the best chance of not having accidents. If you want to hit something, get a big vehicle. If you want to be in control of your safety, get something that is a car.

We all have a lot more near misses than accidents, and vehicles that are car based, for the most part, enable us to have those near misses.

Just my buck three eighty.

Chuck

Author: crunch10 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1510 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/21/2001 11:32 PM
Hey, I checked out that site. The Axiom seems to be pretty solid. They come out next month is it? I'm surprised I haven't seen any ads on tv about it.

Author: DerrikS Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1511 of 11698
Subject: Re: Looking for new SUV.... Date: 3/24/2001 9:41 PM
I was looking into getting one of those Axioms for my wife. She's getting tired of driving the old volvo around and wanted something more fun and powerful. A buddy of mine saw it at the Auto Show and thought it'd be perfect. It has this Homelink feature on it too, for extra personal safety or something. I'm actually looking into more information on that. Has anyone else heard of that? I'd be curious to know.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement