Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 879  
Subject: Looks good fr the Hate Crimes bill, bad for ENDA Date: 9/28/2007 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, it Looks good for the Hate Crimes bill, provided it doesn't get stalled in conference, that's how the Democrats managed to hold off the Bankruptcy  Act for as long as they did, by keeping it in committee.

bad for ENDA

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid49439.asp

Now, I will admit that I come at this from being a supporter of trans inclusive language (Several T*s I know ended up unemployed/underemployed for years (and 2 of them would have ended up homeless except for the generosity of others))

But at the same time, splitting the bill up weakens both bills.  It is easy to unite and say, this is the right law to pass now.  Now we get a bill that says, "if we sacrifice some of us, maybe we'll come back and get you later"

Do we want a hierarchy of who is protected?  What if some surveys show that protections for lesbians are less likely to face political opposition, should the bill be cut down further?

Not to mention the legal mess

(I can just see the convoluted defenses now "but your honor, my client didn't fire the plaintiff for being gay,  my client fired him for being transexual"  "As you can see your honor, the plaintiff is dressed in such away as to look more male, and so my client had to fire her, after all, they have an image to maintain in front of their client base, and gender identity was never meant to be protected by Congress" ---  Just manufacture a way to say it was their gender identity and not orientation that led to being fired, and businesses may have a get out of liability free card)

Right now, circuits are divided on whether title vii protections protects feminine acting men and masculine women  (with a couple of circuits extending it to transexuals)  With the RATS court (Roberts, Alito, Thomas, Scalia, with Kennedy as the likely swing vote)  taking one of those cases to the Supreme Court is unlikely to go well, for anyone.

I think I'll stop ranting now
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 856 of 879
Subject: Re: Looks good fr the Hate Crimes bill, bad for Date: 10/1/2007 1:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sara-whitman/barney-frank-bails-on-the_b_66604.html

interesting post on this

I like the pick and choose which child is protected comparison

Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 859 of 879
Subject: Re: Looks good fr the Hate Crimes bill, bad for Date: 10/11/2007 7:16 AM
Recommendations: 0
interestingly enough, some time around or after HRC refused to oppose the bill split

in their workplace publications area
-----------------------------
Quantity
We no longer have copies of "Transgender Issues in the Workplace" available for request.
----------------------------

hmmmm

Author: supaflamintranny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872 of 879
Subject: Re: Looks good fr the Hate Crimes bill, bad for Date: 3/8/2010 7:41 AM
Recommendations: 0
interestingly enough, some time around or after HRC refused to oppose the bill split

in their workplace publications area
-----------------------------
Quantity
We no longer have copies of "Transgender Issues in the Workplace" available for request.
----------------------------

hmmmm

The HRC likes to throw the trans community under the bus every oppotunity it gets. I wonder if it is headed by some people who think Janice Raymond's "The Transsexual Empire: The Making of the She-Male" is the word of God. Seriously, I think it is dominated by her branch of feminism's influence.

SFT

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement