UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128260  
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Looks like my best bet might be to just put really cheap ceramic in there right now

Cheap tile doesn't have to look cheap. I had four rooms done in my father's house when he was selling it, and I got very inexpensive tile at Home Depot which looked like a million bucks when done. (I hired the jobs done because I had just hurt my back and I couldn't spend that much time hunched over. The guy from HD did an excellent job, and was half the price of a "custom tile" place. I got 12x12, 6x6, 16x16, and 2x2 for the four different rooms. All different colors and textures, of course.)

and plan on just tearing it all up when I get ready to remodel,

It can cost almost as much to tear it up as to install, depending on the mastic and how it adheres to the subfloor (in your case concrete.) I'm told that sometimes it's easy. I've done it twice and it wasn't. You need a mostly (not perfectly) smooth base to lay another course, so there can be a lot of angst getting back to the base. (Unless you tile over tile; not recommended but I have done it without problem.)

Go to the store, buy one box of tile, come home, open the box carefully, lay out the tile on top of the floor that's there. Space them apart as though there was grout there, you'll get an excellent idea of what your bathroom will look like with 'cheap' tile. If it works, go buy more immediately (same dye lot.) Buy enough for the future, *including* another extra 10% because you may find a couple of broken tiles in the middle of a box two years from now, or somebody may drop a vase or soap holder and crack a tile already in place, so you want to have some repair materials.

If you don't like it, return the box and try again.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement