UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59078  
Subject: Re: Unemployment by College Major Date: 11/8/2011 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Looks like my daughters did OK in the major department. One is a teacher and currently it shows 1.1% unemployment for that field. Since her degree is in HS science (concentrated on biology) and is certified in special education, I believe she will continue to do OK.

The other daughter majored in psychology (6.1%) for undergrad but is now finishing her masters in Conflict Resolution. That wasn't even listed in the wsj list. I believe it is that new. She is a certified mediator already. She is in Ireland for her international conflict resolution 'field work'. Much of the class is made up of lawyers.

I noticed that computer engineering was not much better than drama and theatre, and miscellaneous engineering was worse. Where's that 'engineers can get jobs' mantra when you need it?

You can't dictate what someone is good at doing. I am really bad at math. Some of that is due to not having taken enough classes in it. But some of it is just not my ability. Language and other liberal arts classes were my strength and what I enjoyed. I understand that we need skilled workers for high technology fields and it is only going to increase. But sometimes on-the-job training can do wonders in that regard, as proven by many of the returning veterans that have some good on-the-job technical skills.

BTW there is a story out there now about the Yale football quarterback who has a dilemma: play his game against Harvard this Saturday or go to the interview for the Rhodes Scholarship. His major is history. Even the smart dudes major in what makes them happy, not some dumba$$ need to major in something that makes lots of money. Maybe this guy intends to get a Ph.D. and go into politics. I don't know. But people major in what some on these boards think are stupid degrees, and they have no proof that those people will not be successful. The major does not always make the man or woman. It is how they apply themselves.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement