Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
lorenzo2 sez: I've never heard of federal taxes being deductible on a state return.

pmarti replies: I'm told Colorado allowed this deduction at one time, and I'm pretty sure Iowa does today.

Well, so it does. I just had a look at the Iowa form, which has a few other interesting items:

- Chickadee Checkoff, a contribution to a state Fish and Wildlife fund;

- Corndog Checkoff, a contribution to help fund capital improvements to the State Fairgrounds, where I guess they sell a lot of corndogs.

They also allow a deduction for your auto registration fee, calculated as follows: deduction = fee - (weight of car)/250. If it's a pickup truck full of corndogs, you may get no deduction at all.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.