Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39392  
Subject: Losing me... Date: 10/19/2012 7:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, I think it's safe to say the NHL is losing me as a fan.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643748&navid=DL|NHL|h...

Looks like this season is not going to happen and I was on the fence anyway. More important things to do than stare at a boob tube many hours per week.

The greed is sad. I remember the days when a kid would give his left you know what to be in the NHL and didn't care about the money. Then you KNOW it's for love of hockey that they are playing! I'm not saying it should go back to that, but how much friggin' money does a person need to get through life happily? Greed and excess are destroying this planet. I don't think I want to watch a bunch of spoiled kids trying to hit a black rock into a certain space on the ice for zillions of dollars per minute. Ha!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: delraydella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37050 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/19/2012 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It's a shame. Both sides seem to have forgotten about the fans.....the ones who ultimately pay for all of the things that they are fighting over.

If/when it ever gets settled and they start to play, it would amuse me greatly if no one showed up to watch.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37051 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/19/2012 11:31 PM
"If/when it ever gets settled and they start to play, it would amuse me greatly if no one showed up to watch."

LOL! That would be great! Give them a piece of our minds. Let's start a web site asking people to pledge to boycott the NHL :)

Suddenly, they are all so proud and announcing resumption, and no one buys tickets or subscribes to the season. As Jackie would say, "hardy har har"!

Author: delraydella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37052 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/20/2012 8:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
We could start something on Facebook. A Boycott The N.H.L. page might go pretty far and would certainly send a message. Or maybe it won't, who knows, but it might be worth a try. We'd have to work on a title and a statement,maybe getting people to "like" us if they promise to boycott some NHL games.

A good title might be "Lockout The N.H.L."
The statement could read..."As fans of the National Hockey League, we are the one's who ultimately pay all of the hundreds of millions of dollars that the League and the Players Association are fighting over. As a result ,we the fans are the ones who have to suffer yet another lockout of our favorite sport. It is obvious to us by now that the NHL and the Players Association care more about our money than they do about the fans.

Let's show the NHL and the Players Association that we do count. Let's Lockout the N.H.L. and not attend any games this season if and when they ever get this latest scuffle settled."

or something like that, I'm sure it needs some help....

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37053 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/20/2012 10:30 PM
Too much corporate money involved for a boycott to work.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37054 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/20/2012 10:45 PM
Sounds good to me. Your text would be a great start.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37055 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/21/2012 8:32 AM
Too much corporate money involved for a boycott to work.

If you don't fill the stadium, then the owners lose out on secondary revenue streams from concessions, NHL jerseys, etc. Local channels like NESN won't be able to charge as much for advertising if people aren't watching the games. That would be another revenue stream that could be impacted.

Grape

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37057 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/22/2012 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 4
RB,

Stop romanticizing the good ol' days. The NHL that you knew is gone. It is what it is. Either like the new product or don't. Hurting the owners with a boycott is not necessarily going to change the direction of the product in the way that you want it to go.

Just move on. You'll find lots of things in life that will love you back, and pro sports is NOT one of them.

You can still love hockey and not love the NHL.

--Rod

Author: tonyromo1741 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37058 of 39392
Subject: Re: Losing me... Date: 10/22/2012 8:15 PM
^^^
1 rec for Rod's post...it could apply to all four major sports...

the good old days are gone!!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement