UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190566  
Subject: Losing network drives Date: 1/29/2013 2:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've got a Windows 7 Professional workstation connected to a Windows Server 2008 Standard server. The server is sharing a drive, which I have mapped to a drive on the workstation

From time to time, and for reasons I haven't figured out yet, when I log into the network, Win 7 reports that it cannot reconnect to the mapped network drive. Yet when I use Windows explorer to browse around, I can browse the network drive just fine. I can open, change, and save files with no apparent problems.

Yet the drive still shows up as not available.

And now I have discovered that one of my programs apparently is paying some attention to that not available condition. It will save some files and appears to open them, but won't display their contents. They happen to be plain text files, so if I open them with Notepad, I can read their contents.

The only solution seems to be a reboot of the workstation. Then the network drive reconnects just fine. For a day or two or 6. And then I get the error message again.

If it matters - and it might - I logged off the computer but leave it running at night and on weekends. I do that because I use remote desktop connection to connect to it from time to time. If it were off, I couldn't do that. And this doesn't appear to be an issue for the Windows XP workstations in the office. They don't lose the network drive connections.

Any ideas?

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: F00linRound Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183565 of 190566
Subject: Re: Losing network drives Date: 1/29/2013 5:45 PM
Look at your network discovery setting and make sure it's enabled. This has to be done on server and workstation side. Also when you map the drive make sure to put a check on "RECONNECT at LOGIN"

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183566 of 190566
Subject: Re: Losing network drives Date: 1/29/2013 6:19 PM
Look at your network discovery setting and make sure it's enabled.

Where do I find that?

Also when you map the drive make sure to put a check on "RECONNECT at LOGIN"

That one I know where to find, and I know it's done.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Peter

Author: op456op Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183567 of 190566
Subject: Re: Losing network drives Date: 1/29/2013 6:46 PM
I think you can find it in:

Control Panel|Network and Internet|Network and Sharing Center|Advanced Sharing settings

There is a radio button to Turn On & one for Turn Off. Make sure the turn on is selected.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183568 of 190566
Subject: Re: Losing network drives Date: 1/29/2013 7:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
I think you can find it in:

Control Panel|Network and Internet|Network and Sharing Center|Advanced Sharing settings

Thank you. It was turned off on the server. We'll see if that fixes it. It will likely take me a few days to report back, as it seemed to be pretty random when I lost the connection - sometimes taking several days before it was lost.

--Peter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement