Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
this is going to sound ignorant (imagine that) to many, but I really have no idea. If I were to lose my job and struggle to find another that met my financial needs, how would a sell-off of say $5000.00 of simple stock be taxed? Would this count as straight income for the year? How is capital gains tracked? I wouldn't think that I could be taxed twice on the original investment (post taxed wages used to buy stock), but I'm really not sure how it works.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.