Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Through some unfortunate investing decisions I took a rollover IRA I have from about 25K down to 5K this past year. I hadn't had much in gains when it was at 25K so I believe I contributed about 22K and had 3K in gains before suffering the losses.

My question, can I close this IRA out and declare a tax loss on my return? I'd rather take the 17K in losses to offset any gains I have in the future, or for the 3K per year you can take against income.

Would they first penalize me 10 percent for early withdrawal?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.