UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: math999man Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5267  
Subject: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now? Date: 4/13/2009 11:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This past January when I was talking with my mother, she had informed me that she had not received her January Social Security check. She asked another senior citizen if they had received theirs and they informed my mother that sometimes the government will send two checks in one month versus one check for each month. Later I checked the Social Security website and found out that this information was incorrect and my mother should have received her Social Security check on January 3.

She waited all of January to receive the check before visiting the local Social Security office in February. The Social Security representative listened to my mother and informed her that another check would be put in the mail and sent directly off to her. Sure enough a few weeks later she received another check, to make up for the one that was missing in January.

My mother then received a letter from the government stating that they had overpaid her one check. Apparently the government did not receive proper notification that the second check sent out in February was to replace the January check. What makes this more complex is that my mother is mis-remembering the month in which the check was lost. My mother thinks it was the February check that is missing, where's I know for 100% assurance that it is the January check that was missing. The reason I know it was the January check is because in January I downloaded the direct deposit form from the Social Security website to pass on to my mother to fill out. But she's insisting that it was the February check that was missing. This letter from the government said that they had reached a decision to withhold the check on June 3 as compensation for overpayment of two checks. My mother went to the Social Security office a second time to explain that the second check in February was to replace a lost one, but they were of no help. The Social Security office just insisted that my mother take a waiver form and fill it out to claim to the government that if she does not keep the replacement check she will not be able to afford food to eat. I have not seen this waiver form but I strongly suspect that it is a claim of extreme hardship that a person is in dire need of all the Social Security checks they have received. Not that my mother should cavalierly give up the Social Security check that was a replacement of the missing one, but she does not feel like filling out this waiver form is truly honest in her particular situation since she is not in any dire need or life or death situation where the second replacement check is needed to that degree.

Even after this second visit to the Social Security office, they still have not acknowledged that one check was missing. As a sidenote, at an earlier visit to the Social Security office they told my mother that they were going to send two checks and asked her to compare the signatures on the checks. It's been an extremely long time since they informed my mother of this but yet she has not received any copies of signed checks to compare signatures.

Can I ask anyone out there, if your Social Security check was ever lost and you'll share your experience or what the procedure was to get a replacement check? Or did you have difficulty as my mother seems to be having in that the government is not recognizing the fact that one check did not arrive at her house.

The good news is, after 20 years of me insisting that my mother use direct deposit, she has finally signed up for direct deposit with one of the banks she deals with. I'm a little bit frustrated because I have continually insisted that for safety she utilize direct deposit. Previously I used to get the same answer all the time, NO.

math999man
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5219 of 5267
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now Date: 4/14/2009 9:52 AM
This board is more about the public policy aspects of Social Security reform, not about questions and concerns regarding Social Security as it is today.

You may want to try the Retired Fools board for this one:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112955

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5220 of 5267
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now Date: 4/17/2009 12:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
This is a government agency, so you have to have all the facts in order before you open your mouth.

Does your Mom cash or deposit her whole check at the bank? First thing is to get a list of all deposits from Dec to April, either online of from the courtesy of the bank. That way you confirm the check was never cashed, thus may have gone astray.

All the conversations with the SS office have to be documented. Even if you have to write them yourself.

Request an investigator. You don't want to be shuffled around and explain the facts over and over. Request One person to deal with the entire case. You just went over the head of the local office, but for you this is good.

And you mentioned Mom dis-remembered. Early signs of dementia? This and lost and misappropriated checks are discussed at Taking Care of Parents. There might be a wider audience there.
jC

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5224 of 5267
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now Date: 3/24/2010 3:47 PM
This past January when I was talking with my mother, she had informed me that she had not received her January Social Security check.

Get her direct deposit, for pete's sake.

Author: math999man Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5226 of 5267
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now Date: 3/24/2010 9:50 PM
Hey, Pete.

I have been telling my 80 year old mother to get direct deposit for over 10 years !

A confused mind has one answer: no.

End of story.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5228 of 5267
Subject: Re: Lost Social Security check -- what to do now Date: 3/24/2010 10:44 PM
Hey, Pete.

My name is Paul.

A confused mind has one answer: no.

Eh. My mom was like that, too.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement