Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mdtls Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 660  
Subject: lots of action Date: 1/6/2009 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
someone sure has developed a real apetite for USG yesterday and early today.

any speculations as to who/why?

m
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mindshar Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 644 of 660
Subject: Re: lots of action Date: 1/6/2009 1:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I've been scouring the news for stories today but haven't seen anything either. No good news that I could see in housing or construction, and nothing I've seen specifically related to USG.

The shareholder rights plan amendment adopted last month makes me think that it's not its large (>5%) shareholders (e.g. Buffett/BRK and Knauf).

It's almost as if some fund manager got back from their Christmas/New Years holiday yesterday and decided to add USG to their fund's holdings in a major way after realizing how beaten down the share price is. But that's purely speculation of course.

Author: Squidprorow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 645 of 660
Subject: Re: lots of action Date: 1/6/2009 2:03 PM
Shares of several building materials companies rose Tuesday as a key index of the service sector fell less than expected amid optimism that President-elect Obama will act quickly to halt home foreclosures.
http://www.fool.com/news/associated-press/2009/01/06/sector-...

Author: azby50 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 646 of 660
Subject: Re: lots of action Date: 1/6/2009 3:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
posted by frankdip on inside value usg board re todays action:

Recommendations: 3

MoPicks - you are probably right about the timing as I tend to be overly optomistic, however in my investing strategy time is not very important, a year one way or the other won't make much of a difference to me - much more importantly is that my thesis for the company's long term performance is correct. If my thesis is correct we and the cmpany will make money, eventually.

Today the stock is up 25% on the first Obama stimulus news that would allow companies with 2008 tax losses to roll those losses back for five years for their prior tax returns. This would allow a company such as USG to file amended returns reducing their profits for tax years 2003 thru 2007 based on their losses in 2008. This recovery of past paid taxes will go right to USG's bottom line.

Although I can not predict the actual stimulus plans my general theory is that home ownership and companies involved with home ownership will be big beneficieries of the new administration's tax/stimulus policies.

Frank

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement