Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9935  
Subject: Re: Code for America Date: 10/8/2012 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Love the link, thanks for sharing it!

(This was one of my arguments for the price of textbooks coming down or going to zero once they become electronic).

I don't think you will ever see them go to zero unless we have a "wiki/crowd sourced" education model.

Someone will always have to update the history and science books and if someone does not do it for free, there will be a cost for such.

The unfortunate irony of all this is that the better we get at this sort of stuff, the more unemployed we will have. That student that just graduated with a degree in computer programming and went to work for the city just lost their job to some civilian that can now code an app in half a day.

It won't be too many years into the future before the entire USPS goes out of business (or is outsourced) because so much personal and business communication will be electronic.

What happens to all the publishers of textbooks when all textbooks are electronic? I'm not arguing against this just concerned about the long term consequences of our significantly increased efficiency.

We might be closer to a "Star Trek-like" economy than anyone realizes. We already have 3D replicators.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement