UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: coopiedaddy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12  
Subject: Low Market Strategy 101 Date: 10/9/2008 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello!

New poster here. I have only a few years experience investing at home for family purposes. I have investments in a few 403b's, Roths, and then every month I invest outside of retirement in a taxable brokerage account.

The vast majority of my investments are in index funds, index ETF's and other basic "safer bets", including a few international stock funds and even merging markets.

My question: Now that we appear to be at a very low point, at least, if not frankly at dead bottom generally speaking... What is a good strategy to use in order to sell off a few duds, collect a loss and move on to greener pastures (for me, probably DCA reallocating into a better mix).

Furthermore, is this a relevant strategy? I've found myself searching for posts about this and have not been very lucky. Hold or just sell off! are the strategies I seem to find.

The things I would like to ditch include a few stocks, since frankly I am just not a stock investor and don't necessarily care to be, I like the buffer that funds provide and the auto-diversity inherent in the size a fund or ETF. I intend to buy and hold for years to decades.

Let me be clear about my question, I seek to learn if I should simply sell off a few stocks and a few volatile funds that I do not want any longer, take a loss that I can carry into the next year or two, and reallocate into better bets for the next decade. Do I do this now and take a good loss, or wait? Do I not do this at all? I understand wash sale law, so I am OK with that.

Thanks for your help, fools!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement