Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 892  
Subject: Re: Generic Drug Manufactirers Date: 7/28/2004 11:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lower than what, the original pharma company that developed the drug? Sure, but that's a sunk cost and irrelevant for competing in the generic stage. Lower than another generic company after the 180 day window? Why would that be the case?

I was unclear. I meant: lower than the original pharma, since all they have to show is that they are making the same molecule, under the same manufacturing strictures. They don't have to do clinical trials.

As for six months, is it a little or a lot? I don't know. If I were number two, and had to sit on my thumbs for six months, I know I'd be pissed, and at a disadvantage.

My guess is that you can do quite a lot in six months to establish yourself as the preferred supplier of the generic. If the market is really sensitive to the potential cost savings -- meaning the HMOs, insurers, buying consortia, etc. all immediately jump on the generic to cut costs asap -- then perhaps one can make some real moolah in that six months, and have a leg up on other generics that does not immediately disipate, unless the next MeToo makes a significant move on price. I also wonder how quickly the Pharma responds to the lower price, because there is no doubt a residual effect from their just-ended monopoly that they would like to hold onto as long as possible.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement