UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jackcrow Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2534  
Subject: Re: Monitor Investment Performance Date: 1/17/2011 12:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Lowhat,

If I understand your question to me and I'm not sure I do, for us the small DIY'r investor we are the manager and we are the investor. We input cash, buy assets that hopefully generate positive returns. We are running a business, it may be hobby in size and scope but it is a business. We have a balance sheet of assets and liabilities and equity. We have a statement of income and we have a reconciliation of cash flows. Most of the time we don't actually need all those fancy statements but in essence they exist.

There are some goofy numbers used in add campaigns that need to be watched. "Uber-wonderful-small-cap picker fund's manager has beat the Russell 2000 by over an average of 15% over the last 3 years". If total transaction costs and fees eat 5% then the investors average take home is 10%. The real warning is 'average ... over the last 3 years, all it would take in small cap space to do that is one good year as a stock picker and a couple below average years by the index.

jack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement