Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
< I converted an IRA from Institution A to a Roth in Institution B during 6/98. Institution A withheld 10% for Federal Taxes and sent the rest to Institution B. I now realize that I will be hit with a 10% penalty for early withdrawal on the amount withheld for taxes. Can I send a check to institution B for the amount of the taxes to make my rollover whole or is it too late ?>

I have been told the 60-day window also applies for IRA to Roth IRA conversions. So unfortunately it appears to be too late.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.