UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884982  
Subject: Re: Refurbing my refurb computer Date: 11/27/2012 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
< If you are keep this computer and looking for more speed, adding RAM up to a limit of 4 GB will do more than a hard drive change....

I'm guessing that your computer has a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz processor since that was a common one for the time frame. If you use PassMark CPU benchmarks, that processor scores a 405. A new computer with an Intel i7 processor may have a score in the 8000-12,000 range.>

My current computer is an HP Compaq dx2250 microtower with AMD Athlon 64 X 2 dual core processor 4000+ , 984 MHz, 1.87 GB of RAM. The hard disk has 65 G, of which about 40G is in use. I am running Windows XP Professional 2002, Service Pack 3.

The AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (but not 4000+) is on the list of low-end cpus that you linked.

The high-end cpu list has lots of processors but of the <$150 processors, the AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (7,145 for $140) stands out as the fastest for the money. This is probably way more capability than I need (since I don't play games, etc.) but it isn't terribly much more expensive than processors with half the speed. This processor is available from Amazon.com for $130. It gets good reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113...

Does it make sense for me to order this? Would it plug into my current CPU. (I am completely ignorant as to the internals of the computer and will need hand-holding.)

What do you think? Would the combination of the new hard drive and new processor give me a "new" computer in my old box?

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement