UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 449508  
Subject: Re: Hearing loss correlates w/ dementia Date: 2/12/2013 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
<
There's a second important point: "sound processing overload". It occurred to me that perhaps our senses were never intended to process such a large amount of "information filled" sound every hour of every day. What I mean is that since childhood, we've been exposed to radio, television, telephone, music along with the sounds of our industrial world; all sounds which command our attention.

How often do any of us have a 'quiet moment', away from all that? Hardly ever. We are constantly interrupted by 'information dense' sounds.>

FastMike, you have put your finger on an important (though separate) issue.

The issue you are highlighting is multitasking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_multitasking

Studies of the phenomenon of cognitive load in multimedia learning extensively have concluded that it is difficult, and possibly impossible to learn new information while engaging in multitasking. ...Students who engaged in more multitasking reported more problems with their academic work.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/costs-o...

Multitasking
The Cognitive Costs of Multitasking

By Kendra Cherry

Multitasking can reduce productivity by approximately 40-percent according to some researchers.

Switching from one task to another makes it difficult to tune out distractions and can cause mental blocks that can slow down your progress....
[end quotes]

Personally, I can't listen to music while I am "in the flow" of solving a scientific or math problem because the music distracts me. Similarly, I can't listen to news podcasts while I'm cooking several meals at once (which I do on Friday in preparation for Shabbos).

I think it's not a coincidence that the founders of more than one religion found their inspiration while isolated in the wilderness, which enabled intense introspection.

"Information dense sounds," as you aptly call them, are distracting. The human brain circuits that process conscious thought cannot handle more than one thought at a time. A person multitasks by switching from one task to another, not by running both at once. The interruptions reduce effectiveness.

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement