Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
< This is over my head. If I move my money from a 401K ( I have 60 days) will I pay taxes if I put it in an index fund? Also, will I have to get a financial manager to do this for me or can I do it myself over the internet or by writing the company? >

You will not have to pay taxes if you roll it to a qualified IRA, but you will want one that is self-directed.

However, the IRA has to be set up first and the money has to go directly to it. A discount broker should be able to help, but if not you might have to go to a larger brokerage house. If the check is cut to you and not the financial institution the taxes and 10% penalty will be withheld, and in order for you to not pay taxes on the "income", you will have to come up with the difference and add that to the IRA. (It's really ugly if you don't just move it directly to the new account.) You will then get the withholding back next year in your income tax refund (sort of.)
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.