No. of Recommendations: 2
<1. Savings bonds must be registered to an individual (possibly with a co-owner or beneficiary). They are nontransferable and can't be registered to a trust or an IRA.>

One part of this is incorrect.

Savings Bonds can be registered to a trust. A special application form is required, which the Federal Reserve will mail to you. Only paper bonds may be bought this way. Treasury Direct does not allow registration of trusts.

I have Savings Bonds in 3 different trusts, and have discussed the rules with the people at the Federal Reserve (who were very nice).

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.