UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: My Pick of 403b Fidelity Funds Date: 1/5/2000 11:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<And I've learned,from postings here, that high turnover is irrelevant from a "hidden cost" perspective when the money is all>
But you need to look turnovers and not just ignore them. I think I state they should not be used as principle screen test but might be used as tie breaker.
IOM Answer to your questions.
1) With just $3,000 to invest should I be concerned about fees ? I.e. Should I just stick with the index fund ?

Mphipps relpies: In my option you should have 20% in technology fund. That is singular. IMO your 3000 should go into Index and larger percentage of monthly contributions go into tech fund. If I am correct about technology it will get to the 20% quickly.

2) What do you think of the five other funds I picked ? Are they recognized by the "investment community" as high quality funds
with good management teams, sort of like, I guess, Janus is. Can I do better than them ?

Mphipps replies: who knows. I check the funds out. All meet the 20% rules. But I think they all invest pretty much in the same thing. I like the electronic fund and Technology fund. I think a would recommend salary funded investments in Technology fund. Sort of even out the others are just a like to specialized.
I think going with just one of the Tech funds is best approach.
Sum up. IMO $3k goes in index fund and 50% of salary inputs go into technology and 50% go into index
If you want another fund I would look for international and not another tech.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement