Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<Can after tax 401(k) contributions be 'rolled over' into a Roth IRA? Without penalty? >

I am NOT TMF Taxes, so bear that in mind.

From what I have read, you can roll a 401(k) over into a Roth IRA (if your 401(k) permits it) without penalty, unless you consider paying the income tax on the entire current value of your 401(k) to be a penalty. I WOULD consider that a penalty, considering that it would definately put me in a higher incremental tax bracket, but I am considering a rollover anyway to avoid paying any future tax on the money, especially the 15% excise tax on excess distributions. I do not have enough information yet to make a decision. I would like to see an up-to-date version of IRS PUB 590 before deciding. This will not be available until 1998, I imagine.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.