Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We may sell some vacant land at a gain of $160K this year(LTCG). I am considering postponing the payment until 2002 since this year our income is high.

Question #1: If our earned income next year is $15K (married filing jointly) and we include the LTCG of $160K, how will the LTCG rates apply? Will we get the 8% rate on part of it up to total income of $43850 (or whatever it is next year) and then 20% on the remainder?

Question #2: If I do take payment Jan 1, 2001, how much imputed interest will I have to show if the land sale actually happens on, say, Nov 1, 2001? Can I calculate it as 2 months at .5% per month (simple interest) on the total selling price?

Thanks in advance
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Question #1: If our earned income next year is $15K (married filing jointly) and we include the LTCG of $160K, how will the LTCG rates apply? Will we get the 8% rate on part of it up to total income of $43850 (or whatever it is next year) and then 20% on the remainder?

Your thinking is basically correct, but needs a little tweaking. First, you will only qualify for the 8% LTCG rate if you owned the property for 5 years before selling. If less than 5 years, you'll pay 10% LTCG up to the upper limit of the 15% tax bracket and then 20% on the remainder. Second, the upper limit ($43850 or whatever) is based on taxable income, not total income. You need to consider adjustments, deductions, and exemptions.

Ira
Excellent! Thanks, Ira, for verifying that this strategy is worth pursuing. I made an Excel spreadsheet to calculate Schedule D numbers but it's really tough to get all the "if.." and "unless..." logic in correctly. I wanted to be sure I understood how the spreadsheet should work. And being compulsive and anal, I don't trust the tax software (Quicken, etc) to do it correctly.
And being compulsive and anal, I don't trust the tax software (Quicken, etc) to do it correctly.

Actually, the TAX software (TurboTax, TaxCut, etc.) should all do this effortlessly in their planning modules. I can't vouch for the tax modules in Quicken, Microsoft Money, etc.

If you want to try this on your own, the draft version of the 2001 Schedule D should be available at the IRS web site in the tax professionals area -- http://www.irs.gov/bus_info/tax_pro/dftform2.html.

You can then follow the IRS logic as you create your spreadsheet.

Ira

Advertisement