Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<During 1997, I participated in a company's 401k plan for 2 months before I left for a new company. My contributions totaled less than $1,000. Is my '97 IRA contribution of $2,000 fully deductible, or does it depend on my income level?>

It depends on your income level (assuming you were under 70.5 years old at the end of 1997, otherwise you can't make an IRA contribution). The phase-out ranges are $25,000-35,000 for single filers and $40,000-50,000 for married filing jointly for 1997.

If you're below the range, all contributions are deductible. Above the range the contributions are nondeductible. Within the range, you need to get the instructions from Form 1040 and use the IRA deduction worksheet on page 16 to determine the deductible amount.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.