No. of Recommendations: 0

<<The money was earned in and contributed for 1998. Your Form W-2 for the year should reflect
that fact. Therefore, you will not have participated in a qualified retirement plan based on that job
on any day in 1999 nor will any compensation from that job be included in your income for 1999.
Your HR department should verify that is correct.>>

You might want to check on this answer. As accountant, I know that even if the last working day is in Dec., if the paycheck is issued, and dated, in January, then the income will be in 1999 and a W-2 will be issued for 1999 earnings. I don't know the answer to the retirement plan part of the question. I suspect, tho, that the contribution would be for 1998, and yes, you would not have participated in a retirement plan in 1999. Please check on this further.

The Mule Fool
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.