UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: Combining SEP IRA and IRA? Date: 10/10/1997 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<I know there are lots of problems with different kinds of money. I have a Rollover IRA (rolled from a 401K), and a SEP IRA. Can I combine them? I'd like to start a UG5 with them, and it would be a lot easier if it were one account. It would be harder to buy 5 stocks of roughly equal value each time because of the two different balances.

I understand that at best, I wouldn't be able to take the IRA and put it in another employer's 401K. I'd be okay with that if I can combine them.>

1.) I have never understood why someone would want to put money in an IRA back into a 401(k). I see so many complaints of the form: My 401(k) allows me a limited range of investments, mostly underperforming mutual funds, and I want one that is self-directed; I do not want to quit the company or die: what should I do. If you have the money out of a 401(k) and in a self-directed IRA, I cannot imagine why you would wish self-impose the undesirable restrictions that come with most 401(k)'s. So, by all means, combine them.

2.) I have money in several portfolios: Foolish Four (a value strategy), UG5, MoneyHeavy, and Emotional. If you are new at this, I would NOT start with the UG5 unless you have a doctor who will prescribe tranquilizers freely. Or wear heavy gloves so you do not bite off your fingernails. That
portfolio is very volatile. My UG5 was down about $16,000 last March or so and up about $25,000 the other day. Can you stand volatility like that? It is easier if over half your money is in something calmer, such as the Foolish Four, Unemotional Value, or MoneyHeavy (a CashKing strategy).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement