No. of Recommendations: 0
<I was curious if there was anything to do as a person with no 401(k) available to "make up" the lost opportunity of putting away $11000, outside of investing it in a brokerage account.>

Emphatically, DT, the only way to let your investment grow tax deferred after you have maxed your Roth IRA/Trad IRA (when you have no 401k) is to purchase an annuity. See my first response.

But LTBH is a better approach. The taxes are low if you chose investments that pay little or no dividends or capital gains. LTBH is better than 401K in that in retirement you pay taxes at capital gains rates on LTBH investments, but at full rates on 401k distributions.

You can do LTBH with a variety of investments including mutual funds or real estate. You don't have to have a brokerage account to do it.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.