UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: saraswati1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 531  
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 9/27/2007 8:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<i>What's best about living in Indiana? What's worst?</i>

I had some neighbors here in Dallas who lived in Indianapolis then moved here, then moved back.  They were excited to go back.  Said they liked it alot.

I grew up there and my parents still live there.  It has improved greatly since I left after high school twenty nine years ago.  I am not so familiar with Carmel as I have not been there for many years, but other poster's descriptions match what I hear.  I know they are trying to promote a vibrant art scene, although I don't know the quality of it. 

A 4000 enrollment high school is nothing new.  My graduating class was 1200.  We had the #1 state band, choir, football team and 2nd in basketball during my years there, so there are some benefits to the big high schools.  Good facilities and extras.  Basketball is obviously big in Indianapolis.

I attended the Indianapolis Repertory Theatre growing up, which was wonderful.  They also used to have Civic Theatre in the summer.  Downtown has improved greatly and, while small, has a lovely circular center with the Soldiers and Sailors Monument and roads radiating outward from that city center.  The Eiteljorg museum is quite lovely architecturally.  The Children's Museum is one of the best in the world.

My mother goes to the symphony, but I have no experience of that in Indianapolis myself, so I cannot comment.

I always visit Shapiros, a jewish delicatessan, in its humble downtown location, when I visit.  This deli rivals NY deli's like Katz's.  (ok a bit of an exaggeration.)  But it beats hands down anything in Dallas, TX.   Four inch thick pastrami sandwiches, matzah ball soup, potato latkes, stuffed peppers, etc.

Indianapolis has also striven to promote many sports complexes, although I am not current on this.  I know they have had major tennis, swimming (IUPUI sports complex) and of course are in the process of building a new stadium downtown.  Colts are there obviously.

Speaking of IUPUI, there is a strong medical community because of the teaching facilities related to IU.  And you have two pretty good Universities in Purdue and IU if your kids are close to that age.  I noticed both are in Forbes this month as 26th and 39th best Business Schools in the US.  Purdue is also good for engineering.  Don't really know too much more.

South of Indianapolis near Bloomington is the Limestone Capital of the World, where stone was quarried for some of the most famous buildings and monuments in Washington DC and NY, etc.  Some interesting little towns down there for those who search out the unusual.  You may or may not recall a small movie called "Breaking Away" which is about this region. 

Cincinnati 2 hours away.  I once had an airline send me by taxi to Cincinnati to catch a plane when my flight was cancelled, LOL.  Chicago four hours away, and many treasures there to explore.

Broad Ripple is nice, as mentioned.  And there are some lovely state parks that are worth visiting.  Southern Indiana is pretty being at the foothills essentially of the appalacians or something?  Rolling topography.  If you like to garden, in Indiana you can pretty much stick anything in the ground and it will grow. 

The downside is that it is fairly conservative.  And flat.  And its roots are in blue collar industry and farming.  My children think its deadsville, but they are visiting the grandparents when they go, where things are very quiet and slow-paced, lol. 

There is a lot of traffic in the north Indianapolis area around Fishers.  I just don't know about Carmel.  Property values are fairly low, perhaps not in Carmel.  But it is supposed to be lovely. 

Hope I'm not too late to help.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement