Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< As a student with no income, what will my long term and short term capital gains tax rates be? >>

Your status as a student makes no difference. Short-term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income. Long-term gains are taxed at 10% until you use up the 15% bracket, then at 20%. (Different rules apply to a child with unearned income, but I'm assuming you're over 14.)

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.