UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: daeschli Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76419  
Subject: Re: Roth or 401k - what order? Date: 1/19/2000 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< BUT, you can defer taxes on non-401k capital gains by buying QQQ or SPY or an equivalent (in a regular taxable account) and not selling. Sure, you still have to pay the income tax on the money you put it, but you can defer the tax on the gains as long as you want. >>

Seems to me this actually argues *against* a taxable account. Assuming a 28% tax rate (both currently and at retirement), a CAGR of 10%, and an initial investment of 10K, I see this:

Tax-deferred account:
Initial investment: $10,000
In 30 years : $174,494
Less taxes : $125,636

Taxable account:
Initial investment: $10,000
Less taxes : $7,200
In 30 years : $125,636

However, in the second case you then have to pay long-term capital gains on the $115,636 which at 20% means you would be paying $23,127 in additional taxes.

(Obviously, if your after-retirement tax bracket is higher than your initial one, you could come out ahead.)

As far as early withdrawals, in the tax-deferred account you would pay the 10% penalty, but in the taxable account you would pay the 20% LTCG. Seems like you would still come out ahead (if you absolutely had to do it).

I totally agree with you, however, regarding the problem of being restricted to an employer's choices in 401K investments (as I well know! Oh, when will they finally allow self-directed 401Ks???).

Dan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement