Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Can I claim kids on my taxes if my ex wife claims them, we have a 50/50 custody arrangement and all expenses are shared.

They judged awarded the deductions to her, but does he have that right, will the state allow both parents to claim them or will I get audited. >>

You can't both claim them. The second return to post to the IRS computers will bounce if you do, and you will both be asked to substantiate your claims. You can't substantiate yours, since the divorce decree specified that she gets them and there's nothing in tax law to override it.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.