Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< First off, I was very foolish (That's lower case f!!!)last year. Due to my financial situation, I was unable to take part in my employers 401k plan. I never enrolled, nor did I put any money into it. My situation has changed, and I would like to make a contribution to a deductible IRA, for 1999. On line 15 of my W-2, my employer marked the "pension plan" box. Does this exclude me from making a tax-deductible IRA contribution? >>

No, but it does make you subject to the AGI test for deductibility. See the instructions for line 23 of Form 1040.

<< And what constitutes an active participant in an employee sponsored pension plan? >>

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you CAN contribute to a 401(k) you're covered, whether or not you actually contribute.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.