Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<< For the first time I am about to buy stocks on margin.>>

I'm sure that you realize that this could be a strategy filled with additional risk. I also assume that you have taken the time to review your own personal situation to determine that you are willing to accept this additional risk.

<< I am assuming that the margin interest charged to my account is fully tax deductible. This deduction will be taken against earned interest income, cash dividends and the sale of stock. >>

It WILL be deductible, assuming...

1. You used the margin funds to buy additional shares of stock; and
2. You are able to itemize your deductions; and
3. You have suficient interest, dividends, gains, and other investment income to cover your other investment expenses AND the margin interest that will be charged.

The margin interst that you'll pay is treated as "investment interest expense". The investment interest expense rules are different and apart from other interest expense rules. In fact, it even has its own IRS Form (4952). You might want to grab a copy of Form 4952 and the instructions in order get a better flavor for the investment interest rules. Additionally, I have a post in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area regarding investment/margin interest. You can read it by going to the Fools School from the main home page, and following the roadmaps from there.

For MINIMUM required reading, check out IRS Publication 550. Pub 550 will lay out many of the tax issues that, as an investor, you will want to have at least a basic knowledge of.
<<As for the risk of buying stocks on margin I have reviewed the pros and cons of the subject. the most obvious down side if the price of the stock does not appreciate more than the intrest you are charged.>>

Not in my opinion. The most obvious downside is that the stock that you own on margin tanks, and you get a margin call. Or, the stock(s) that you owned to secure your margin loan tank, and you get a margin call. You may be forced to sell off parts of your portfolio at a loss, just to cover your margin requirements with your broker. Anything less that this is simply a minor irritation.

Happy Investing...
TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement