Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Hi, I am very confused about taxes and what is best... Very quickly, I just fill out the 1040EZ, no itemizing or anything... Pretty simple.. But I still don't know to file marr/sep. or marr/joint and which is best... Very quickly... I make 24600 and my wife make a total of 16500... So which is best? >>

Bob's basic advice, that you need to calculate it both ways is right on point, but DON'T do it on a 1040EZ. You can't use that form if you file married, filing separately, and you'll get bad numbers if you do your calculations using it. Use the 1040 or 1040A.

When you do your calculations, also take into account your state taxes, if your state requires that you use the same filing status for state as you do for Federal. I'm told that for Ohio residents it's often to their advantage to file separately because even though they pay more Federal tax, they pay less overall tax when the state is included in the calculation.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.