Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

How is the holding period calculated for a new share resulting from a stock split? Does it have to
age 18 months to qualify as a long term capital gain/loss?>>

KAT provided you with a terrific response on two points:

1. The holding periof of the new "split" shares tacks on to the holding period of the original shares, and

2. Long term capital gain is still defined in the tax code as more than one year...even though you get a better tax rate if you hold an asset for more than 18 months. It's going to take some time for the terminology to cath up with the facts of the issue. Many people (even tax geeks) are beginning to use the terms "short term/mid term/long term". I have even caught myself saying "mid term" (althought I'm trying to stop it). But the official "long term" designation has a much broader impact on the entire tax code than just the capital gains issue.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.