Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I am declaring stock sale gains on Sch. D, and using Sch. C for expenses (including margin interest cost of $14,000), with my dividends declared as "other income" on the Sch. C. My
problem is that there is still a gain on the Sch. C., apparently making me subject to filing Sch SE, triggering Self Employment tax on what is really dividends. >>

Possibly a dumb comment here. How about putting dividends on Sch B and putting the margin interest on line 13 of Sch A, as a deduction?

Or am I missing something?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.