Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19597  
Subject: Re: No Retirement Plan at work Date: 5/25/2000 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< I am starting a job with a company that does not currently have a retirement vehicle in place. Is an IRA my only good option for saving tax-deferred money for retirement? The problem I have with this, is that I would like to save much more than $2000/year for retirement. Will I just have to save in a taxable account, or are there other options out there? >>

You really don't have any other options. I would suggest that you consider a Roth IRA if you qualify and can afford the nondeductible contributions. Earnings in a Roth will never be taxed if you leave it alone until retirement.

I would also suggest that you keep long-term hold assets in your taxable account, and those that may generate short-term gains or other current income in your IRA. This way you will receive benefit of the reduced capital gain rate when you do sell from the taxable account.

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Currency Legacies by Implication
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.