Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I got a 1098-T Tuition Payments Statement showing tuition was paid by my employer to a local university for a graduate-level class over the past year. It was a work-related and work-sponsored program, but I am not considered a degree candidate. Is anyone familiar with this, and do I have to include this as income? IRS's info on this seems sparce. >>

The 1098-T is information that might be useful for one who is claiming one of the education credits. It does not create taxable income for you.

If the employer-paid tuition was taxable to you, it is included in your W-2 wages. If it was taxable to you, your tuition payment is a qualifying expense for the lifetime learning credit. See the FAQ or IRS Publication 970 for more information about the credit.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.