Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I had a flood in my house that resulted in about 12K damage. I used the money to improve the house with new paint and flooring. How do I claim the income. Does anybody know if TurboTax can handle this question and report it properly? >>

TT can handle reporting it if you tell it what to report. Insurance reimbursements in excess of your loss are miscellaneous income on line 21 of the 1040. Why do you think you have reportable income?

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.